Friday, June 5, 2009

In the moment


Yesterday I drove south on the Pacific Coast Highway near San Diego. The ocean was unbelievable - a deep turquoise, with white-as-light foam on top of the waves. There were fluffy clouds scudding across the sky, making areas of light and dark on the water. I couldn't stop but I rolled down the windows for a good dose of sea air. Sea air always makes me feel energized. I think there's a scientific reason for it.

The sand was smooth and mostly untouched. Did you ever think about the fact that the ocean wipes the closest sand clean twice a day? Twice a day, on the wet side of the beach it's a new beach, clean, full of different things.

Do you ever think of the ocean as a kind of living soup? The first time I realized this I couldn't stand to go back in and get wet. Take a gulp of ocean water (accidentally, I hope) and who knows what you've ingested?

Do you ever think about the fact that the water in our bodies is salty - our connection with other life and with the ocean?

I digress. I just wanted to tell you all how incredibly lovely it all was. Hope you have a good weekend.

Marilynne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you.