Today, let's talk about things patriotic. I've been puzzling about this a lot. Let's think this through.
- This flag makes me feel patriotic because it shows a basic right, that ALL of the US belongs under the flag. That means whatever our color, race, religion, we all belong.
- The pledge of allegiance makes me proud that I belong. When I was a kid, my dad used to tease me and tell me I didn't have to pledge allegiance to the flag because I'm Canadian born. But I have a piece of paper that says I'm a child of US citizens who was born abroad. I belong.
- When immigrants take the pledge to become citizens of the US, they usually know more about US history than the rest us - because they just studied it. Because they chose to be citizens.
- Flags stuck in the grass of our lawns or in flag poles. It means to me that the people who live here support the US with all its faults. We fly our flags proudly because we belong.
- Parades make me feel patriotic, especially those parades celebrating our country. At those times I believe that we can make it work.
- Celebrations of our military. How can I explain it? I'm proud that we have strong armed forces that can defend our borders and that these men and women are in the military by choice. That's a huge service to the rest of us and we shouldn't forget that. I am so afraid for our armed forces. I don't want them to be hurt. We can't all be in the armed forces so we should be behind them 100%.
- I'm really patriotic when I think about freedom. My grandfathers came here from Germany when their home country was taking away the people's freedoms. I'm glad there was a place for them to go. I hope the US will always be a place for those who seek freedom.
We are in the process of a great upheaval in our government. Changes must happen. They will happen. It's my prayer that our country will become stronger for it.
My free clip art came from http://www.ace-clipart.com/american-flag-clipart-01.html